CDSS News Issues
The CDSS News is a print publication and, in a slightly shorter format, an online publication. Below are articles and other material from the most recent issues. We hope you find it informative, thought-provoking, and entertaining. Please contact us if you have comments or questions.
Our Upcoming Events calendar of workshops, balls, special events, weeks, and weekends throughout North America, is only available online. There is no charge for a simple listing (date, event name, town/state, sponsoring group's name, contact info); send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit letters, articles, dances, tunes and songs for possible publication, send to email@example.com. Information about advertising (print edition only) is here. To receive the printed newsletter as a benefit of CDSS membership, join here.
All material in the CDSS News is copyrighted by CDSS, the individual author or the original publication and may not be reproduced--other than for personal use--without permission. Views expressed represent those of the authors and not necessarily of CDSS.
CDSS News Spring 2019
Letters and Announcements
- Balance and Sing: Store Update
- All Join Hands: Dispatches from the World of Community Dance - Community Dancing in Utah, by Larraine Mine
- News From Canada: Remembering Cameron Stewart, Patriarch of Country Dance in Vancouver, BC, by Jane Srivastava
- CDSS Sings — Lucy Picco Simpson's "What's In A Song," by Peter Amidon
What’s in a Song
Lucy – rough recording from the cassette tape “letter” she sent to the Amidons
Peter, Mary Alice, Emily Miller and Jesse Milnes version, from their 2016 Brattleboro Last Night performance
Done Found My Lost Sheep
Angels Hovering Round
Peter’s harmonization: http://www.amidonmusic.com/images/mp3s/BlessedQuietness.mp3
Climbing High Mountains
Peter’s arrangement, Suzannah Park soloist: http://www.amidonmusic.com/images/mp3s/ClimbingHighMountains.mp3
Peter & Mary Alice’s son Sam Amidon’s version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R_FMrRAiho
We do not have a recording of Lucy singing this hymn she found in an old hymnal.
Peter’s arrangement – Tony Barrand solo, Mary Alice Amidon harmony: http://www.amidonmusic.com/images/mp3s/Prodigals-Return.mp3
- Celebrating the Life of Tom Siess, by Anne Siess and Brad Foster
- Larks and Ravens: A Report From The Field, by Dela and Dugan Murphy
- Stories from the CDSS Legacy of Joy Society: Beverly Francis and David Chandler
- Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the CDSS Grants Program, by Linda Henry and Katy German
- CDSS Archives Receive New Collection, New Energy, by Susan Creigton and Katy German
- Tips on Becoming a Better Intermediate Level Dancer, by Laura Brodian Freas Beraha
- Taking Someone Aside, by Jeff Kaufman
- Improving the ECD Open Band Experience, by Robert Reichert
- CDSS Executive Committee Kicks Off Strategic Direction in Nashville, Tennessee, by Pam Paulson
Downloadable PDF of the CDSS Strategic Direction — 2019 - 2023
- The Experience of a Lifetime: Contra Dance at Burning Man, by Mark Mathis
- English Country Dance: Ties of Love, by Jenny Beer (with tune The Rose By The Door, by Andrea Hoag)
Ties of Love danced at Hey Days 2018 - Joanna Reiner, Caller, with musicians Anita Anderson (piano) Dave Bartley (plucked strings), and Sande Gillette (fiddle)
- Contra Dance: Rainbows Over Ogontz, by Don Veino
- Back Cover (photo by Mitch Diamond)
CDSS News Winter 2018-2019
Letters and Announcements
- All Join Hands: Dispatches from the World of Community Dance, by Marian Rose
- Balance and Sing (Store Update)
- CDSS Sings — Songs for Surviving: Reflections on the Lullaby, by Rachel Rudi
- News from Canada — Toronto Women's Sword Tour to the North of England: The Traditional Home of Sword Dancing, by Bev Bernbaum and Laurie Cumming
- Dancing in Canterbury, by Dudley Laufman
- Stories from the CDSS Legacy of Joy Society: Gaye Fifer
- Introducing the CDSS Commons,, by Sarah Pilzer
- Marketing Your English Dance: Don't Blame Jane, by Lisa Brown
- Surprising Harmony, Made Sweeter by You, by Katy German
- Taking the Dance into the World with You with NVC, by Harriette Bugel and Bruce Hamilton
- Back Cover (photos by Jeff Bary, Carl Friedman, Denise Smith, Nicholas Smith, Gay Kohl, Barbara Bickerman, Debbie Jackson, Nikki Herbst)
In an ad on page 34 of the printed Winter News for the March 30, 2019, event in the Philly-Princeton area to celebrate Dilip Soni, Mr. Soni's first name was spelled incorrectly. We regret this error. Here is the page with the correction made.
The ad for the Scissortail Traditional Dance Society's event Set for Spring, which takes place March 15 - 17 in Okahoma City, was inadvertently left out of the Winter issue of the News. Please see the ad here.