In June 2018, CDSS began a new web chat series to support organizers of dance, music, and song communities across the continent and beyond. For each web chat, a pertinent topic is chosen and several guest organizers from communities having success with that topic are invited to share their valuable experiences and suggestions (Q&A included).
See below for a wide variety of useful materials generated by all previous web chats, including video recordings, powerpoints, Q&A transcriptions, and more. To receive news about upcoming web chats, email email@example.com.
Web Chat #8: Supporting Song Organizers: Addressing Current Challenges
This upcoming web chat will happen in mid-May 2020 (date TBA). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for announcements about date, time, guest speakers, etc
February 12, 2020 Web Chat #7: Diversifying Income: Thinking Outside the Money Basket
- 2/12/20 – Web Chat Slides
- 2/12/20 – Web Chat Recording (also embedded at right)
- 2/12/20 – Shaking the Cushions – a PowerPoint from web chat guest Jennie Worden
This presentation provides many useful questions and suggestions to help each dance group assess which fundraising ideas will work best for their group. Ideas for additional income sources included.
October 16, 2019 Web Chat #6: Connecting Community Sing Organizers
- 10/16/19 – Web Chat Slides
- 10/16/19 – Web Chat Recording (also embedded at right)
- 10/16/19 – Q&A Responses
July 11, 2019 Web Chat #5: Building Safe Dance Communities
- 07/11/19 – Web Chat Slides
- 07/11/19 – Web Chat Recording (also embedded at right)
- 07/11/19 – Chat Bar Questions and Comments
- CDSS Community Safety Task Group Toolkit: This is a work-in-progress draft of the Safety Toolkit being produced by the CDSS Board's Community Culture and Safety Task Group. The Toolkit provides exemplar language, drawn from communities across the U.S. & Canada, to aid local leaders in drafting their own safety guidelines and policies. This document gives more detail of what the Toolkit will eventually provide, plus exemplar language for drafting guidelines for Community Culture and Etiquette.
April 4, 2019 Web Chat #4: Family/Community Dance Organizers Unite!
- 04/04/19 - Web Chat Slides
- 04/04/19 - Web Chat recording (also embedded at right)
- 04/04/19 - Chat Bar Questions and Comments
January 16, 2019 Web Chat #3: Increasing Youth Involvement
September 20, 2018 Web Chat #2: Creating a Thriving Open Band
June 21, 2018 Web Chat #1: Boosting AttenDANCE
- 06/21/18 - Web Chat Slides
- 06/21/18 - Web Chat recording (also embedded to the right) - Note: We didn't capture the beginning of the chat. The recording begins with Jo Mortland of Chicago Barn Dance Company speaking.
Because the beginning of the web chat wasn't captured, we're offering the entire narrative from our first guest speaker on this page.